{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

25 September 2016

Creative Inspiration: The Printed Square

Being a designer/maker of personalised hankies, it's probably no surprise to you all that I am a HUGE fan of handkerchiefs. I have owned hankies since I was a little girl and I still have those hankies I took to primary school with me; I treasure them now as visual childhood memories. 

Among my collection are some pretty, dainty vintage hankies that I've picked up from markets over the years. I love the detailed hand embroidery on these and the delicate nature of them.

The history of the handkerchief is fascinating too. Did you know they can be dated as far back as the Romans? You can read more about my findings here. I would love to learn even more about them and the history of fashion accessories in general.

The Printed Square

One of my favourite creative, inspirational books is guess what, all about hankies! It's called, 'The Printed Square: Vintage Handkerchief Patterns for Fashion and Design' by Nicky Albrechtsen.

The Printed Square

It's a complete visual delight of a book being split up into colour sections. In each colour section or chapter is a stunning display of hanky patterns, prints and designs, which result in much cooing and ahhing over each and every one. And if you follow me on Instagram, you'll know how much I love colour and pattern, so this method of organising the book is a huge plus for me. 

The Printed Square

Included at the start of each colour section is a quote by a famous person on the colour, such as this lovely one by Cecil Beaton.

The Printed Square

As well as 11 colour chapters, the book includes an interesting introduction, some handkerchief history and a chapter on how to conserve, store, and display hankies. 

The Printed Square

It's a wonderful book for anyone interested in fashion history, as well as those style and design fans out there and anyone who wants a bit of creative, colour inspiration. I now have my eyes on Albrechtsen's book on scarves, swoon!


.....
Disclosure: I wasn't sponsored to write this post. All opinions are my own.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...