{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

2 April 2016

Blog Gem - Made By Mrs M

Woohoo, my favourite time of the month - Blog Gem time! For those of you who are new to Adventures & Tea Parties, each month I find out all about the face behind a creative blog, what inspires them and more. This month I'm super chuffed to be interviewing this fabulous lady!

Made by Mrs M

Hello there, can you tell us all a little bit about yourself?


I’m a textile designer based in far South London. My designs feature bright colours and modernist/brutalist architecture so are not for the faint hearted! I sell my fabrics and products as well as writing two blogs - Made By Mrs M and Sundays in Suburbia.

Made by Mrs M

What is your creative space like? 

I have 2! My studio is in our spare bedroom - white walls, lots of storage (which is filled with books, materials and stock), my sewing machine and overlocker, order packing station and more. The computer is in our study (fancy name for the box room!) and I share this space with my husband if he’s working from home. I actually spend more time in here than in the studio. 

Made by Mrs M

If you had to take only one craft tool to a desert island, what would you choose and why?


I’d say a black drawing pen but I wouldn’t have anything to draw on! So maybe a nice pair of scissors or a scalpel - I could cut up leaves and make things from them. 

Made by Mrs M

How do you work and get inspired? 


I don’t generally struggle with inspiration - everything inspires me and it can be a little overwhelming at times! I do sometimes struggle for blog post inspiration though, and tend to get through this with a little old fashioned brainstorming. Or I go through my blog archive to see if there’s anything I can re-write, update or that inspires me to do something new.

Made by Mrs M

What top tips would you give to anyone starting a blog?


Just start. Worry about the look and feel and everything else later. I find with a new blog that I really am writing for one man and his dog (or my Mum and my best friend!) to begin with, so don’t worry about being too perfect - just get it out there. I would recommend trying your best to take good photos though (and use your own - that’s what makes you unique) - they really make a difference. On Made By Mrs M I tend to have more photos and less text, but it’s the other way around with Sundays in Suburbia (where I just waffle on and on!) - at least one strong image is always essential though. 

Made by Mrs M

Is there a story behind the name, Made by Mrs M?


My best friend came up with Mrs M Makes years ago and I just turned it around. I’m not sure it suits my business so well nowadays as I’m less about craft, but it’s stuck so remains for the time being!

Made by Mrs M

If you could go to a Creative Blog Award dinner with any 5 people and/or fictional characters
(dead or alive), who would you choose? 


Yikes! Well, I’d be very nervous as I’m shy (anyone reading this who knows me will say I’m taking nonsense but I really am painfully shy!), but I tend to be most inspired by people who have/had multiple creative talents and who may have changed direction multiple times in their lives, so I’d like to have dinner with David Bowie, Sonia Delaunay, Michael Palin, Ray Eames and Spike Milligan (who I actually met once - I also loved him as he reminded me of my beloved Grandad). 

Made by Mrs M

And finally...if you had to choose one song to represent Made by Mrs M, what would it be and why? 


Music is a really big part of my life so this is hard! Probably the music I had for my final collection catwalk show at college - Stacks by Pulp. You might need to look this one up as it wasn’t one of their best known songs! 

Thank you so much for stopping by and telling us all about your wonderful, creative world! What an incredible collection of people to invite to your blog award dinner - I want to come and sit at your table! And ooh, Pulp - great choice! 



I hope you've all enjoyed this month's Blog Gem! You can catch up on all my Blog Gem interviews here and don't forget to sign up to my newsletter too, which will be landing on your email doormat tomorrow, ooh!




All of the images and interview answers are the copyright of Made By Mrs M, unless otherwise stated. Please do not use without seeking permission first. Thank you.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...