{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

17 May 2015

Blog gem - Rose Tinted Crafting

It's Blog Gem time, folks! This month I got to find out about the rather crafty, talented lady behind Rose Tinted Crafting. This gorgeous blog is jam packed with craft and DIY projects, so I was eager to find out more!

Hello there, who be the face behind the blog?


Hello, my name is Hannah and I am a stay at home mum and craft blogger. I enjoy a variety of crafts including; drawing, paper crafts, sewing and upcycling.
I've had a passion for making things since I was a young girl. Nothing made me happier than making a huge mess on my bedroom floor with some paper, glitter and glue (I really haven't changed at all!). My late teens and early twenties were incredibly busy due to work, studying and having 2 children, so crafting got put on hold. It wasn't until I reached my late twenties that I rediscovered my love of crafts again and came to the realisation that making things is what makes me really happy. I decided that I wanted to do more of what I love and prioritize crafting so I started my blog, Rose Tinted Crafting, as a sort of online craft journal to keep track of what I made and motivate myself to continually improve and try new things. On my blog I share my crafts, my inspirations and things I like, which often includes my love of snail mail.
What is your creative space like?
I would love to have my own craft room or studio one day but for now my creative space mainly consists of my desk and a mountain of craft supplies in the corner of my bedroom. My craft supplies include pens and pencils, papers, fabrics, washi tape and my lovely collection of ribbons and trims.
 
If you had to take only one craft tool to a desert island, what would you choose and why?
I would take a pencil, if I could rustle up some paper too! I love to draw, it really helps me to relax. I sketch down all of my ideas before I make/do them. I find if I don't do that they will not happen at all. For me it's like a visual to-do list. So, I draw everything first, including blog post ideas, how I want my photos to be styled and things I want to make, you name it! 
How do you work and get inspired? 
I am quite a loner when it comes to crafting. I feel much more comfortable and relaxed making things and taking photos when I am by myself, with no distractions. My process usually starts with an idea, which I will then sketch down. I then play around and have a practice at putting the idea together using whatever materials are needed. Finally, I will take some photos, edit them and then write up the blog post.
I get inspired by lots of different things. I have a ridiculous amount of craft magazines that I like to go back and read over and over again. I also follow some lovely craft blogs and Instagram accounts to.
Most of my inspiration however, actually comes from getting out of the house and looking at things up close (instead of on a laptop or phone screen). Going to craft workshops/events, museums and my local shopping centre can all be a great source of inspiration for me. I will often see someone wearing something or see an item displayed or on sale and say to myself "I could make that!" or at least my own interpretation of it.
What top tips would you give to anyone starting a blog?
Oh my, I need tips myself! I feel like I have SO much to learn. My tips are probably quite obvious.
1. Blog about things that interest you (instead of what you think will get you page views). You will lose motivation quickly if you are blogging about subjects you are not passionate about.
2. Don't worry about how many posts you're putting out every week/month, especially in the beginning. You won't have many followers in the early days so concentrate on creating the best content you can. Even if that means just posting once a month until you get into the habit of putting blog posts together. Those early posts will become the archives your future blog followers will look through, so prioritize quality over quantity.
3. Try not to compare yourself to others. I really struggle with this, it's very hard not to. I try to remember that everyone has their own style. Even if you think your style is a bit quirky or unconventional, there are bound to be others like you out there who will enjoying reading your blog. There is a tribe out there for everyone!
4. Finally, don't wait until you're 'ready' to start. That saying "Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible" by Doris Lessing is true. I put off starting a blog for ages because I thought I couldn't take good enough photos or write well enough. I couldn't get better at those things though without first starting and making lots of mistakes. If you look back through the archives of blogs you admire you will often find there is a huge difference (unless the author has gone back and reworked stuff) in the blogs style, content and quality of photos when they started out compared to their most recent posts. Blogging is a huge learning curve and can also be a journey of self discovery too. You might not know what your style is right now or think you're good enough but starting is the only way (I found) that you can get better and figure it all out.
Is there a story behind the name 'Rose Tinted Crafting'?
I always liked the saying 'to look at things with rose tinted glasses'. It can be interpreted as seeing the positive in a situation, person or object. As someone who likes upcycling I am always looking at the potential or alternative use an item can have. I always wanted to feature upcycling projects on my blog so Rose Tinted Crafting seemed to fit when I was trying to think up a name.

If you could go to a Creative Blog Award dinner with any 5 people and/or fictional characters (dead or alive), who would you choose? 
Hmm, this is tricky. There are lots of people from history I would like to meet, especially inspirational women like Emmeline and Silvia Pankhurst.
If we are talking about creative types though I would start off by inviting Craftivist Sarah Corbett. I would like to get into Craftivism a bit more and really enjoyed her company the one time we met before. I would also invite Holly Becker of the blog Decor8 and try and persuade her to become my blog mentor. I am a fan of her blog and think I could learn quite a bit from her on how to improve my own blog. Next I would invite Michelle Mackintosh, the author of the book 'Snail Mail: Celebrating the Art of Handwritten Correspondence' to talk about all things mail related. I would love for someone to come who knows how to crochet as well as I am keen to learn, any suggestions? Finally, my last guest would be my grandma. My Nan was talented at drawing and inspired me to get into it at at an early age. She also loved crafts, so we often spoke to each other about what we were making. She passed away a few years ago and I miss her terribly so would take the opportunity to catch up with her.
And finally...if you had to choose one song to represent Rose Tinted Crafting, what would it be and why? 
So many songs come to mind, maybe Dolly Partons 'Coat of Many Colours', it's all about a coat her Mother made for her. It reminds me of how special it is to give and receive something that is handmade. I made a bag for my son a few years back, if I am honest it is nothing special, he has much nicer bags. For some reason though he prefers the one I made him and takes it everywhere. Perhaps it feels special to him because I made it for him and put a lot of love into it. 

Thanks so much for stopping by, Hannah! It's been wonderful hearing all about your creative world. I think that's such a good point about sketching all your crafty ideas down first in order to make sure you do them. I love the Doris Lessing quote, that's fabulous and very true!

I hope you've all enjoyed this Blog Gem!

All of the images and interview answers are the copyright of Hannah at Rose Tinted Crafting. Please do not use without seeking permission first. Thank you.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...