{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

25 August 2014

Blog Hop

Today I'm taking part in a Blog Hop, which the lovely Claire from Claireabellemakes invited me to take part in. The idea behind the hop is answering four questions on the topic of writing and blogging, so here goes!

Why do you write?

I write in 4 different places: on my blog, at This Is Your Kingdom, at Terry's Fabrics How To blog and for myself in my current notebook. Each one I use for different forms of writing.

With running a handmade shop and business, I think it's important to show there's a person behind the designs, work and products. Writing my blog helps with this by enabling a space to share my thoughts on what's currently inspiring me creatively. It also allows me to share my thoughts on a range of topics and also challenge me by writing regularly, often to self-imposed deadlines and creatively by thinking of new blog series. I love it!



This Is Your Kingdom is a different kettle of fish and more challenging. Here I am part of a team, which writes reviews on lovely things to see and do in the UK. So, I have to write with a target audience in mind, with a limited word count but also include enough information, so that readers get a good feel for a place and feel inspired to visit it. All of that with a personal touch. I really like having those boundaries as it forces me to write more imaginatively.



Terry's Fabrics How To blog is a recent addition for me and again, a completely different style as it's a blog dedicated to sewing tutorials. Writing, essentially a set of instructions, is a very formulaic and rigid way of writing or at least that's what I thought. Following numerous blogs and owning a few crafty books, I've come to realise you can still show your personality even when writing tutorials and that element is important to make tutorials fun and light and less like dreaded homework.



My current notebook takes a big bashing when it comes to writing. Everything and anything gets written in here. From lists to notes to draft blog posts to personal thoughts and more. There are absolutely no boundaries here and I think having this space allows me to get rid of rubbish and organise words and sentences jumping around in my mind. I don't think I could write any of the above without going to my notebook first.


What are you working on?
I am currently writing answers to a blog interview post, which I was recently invited to take part in. I'm also writing blog posts and planning tutorials in advance, so that I can keep my blog running while I'm busy with shop orders over the Christmas rush. Whilst doing that, I am also preparing to launch my new autumn jewellery range!



How does your blog differ from others of its genre?
I'm never quite sure how to categorise my blog, if I can at all. It's a combination of my adventures in sewing, craft, photography, gardening and knitting, sprinkled with tea, tutorials, my inspirations (music being the biggest) and my evolving journey in learning how to work for myself and run my own handmade business. It all comes from me and is what it is - it isn't trying to emulate other blogs or being something it isn't. I guess that's what makes it different.




How does your writing process work?
My writing process is both organised and disorganised. I write when the feeling takes me and I'll also write under press, to a deadline. I write on the move, at the PC and also in my head, storing it up to write it down as soon as I can. At the moment, I'm trying to be more organised and forward thinking with my blog. I've just "invested" in a free calendar to work as a blog schedule to help over the next four months. We'll see if that works!

As with all blog hops, the idea is to pass it on! So, I'm super delighted to be handing the hop over to two wonderful, talented ladies, Sophie from Onetenzeroseven and Anna from Tea With Miss Beatrix :-) Their blogs sit permanently at the top of my reading list!

I hope you've enjoyed this writing themed blog hop. Stay tuned for important information tomorrow about my shop closing for a few days, while I go off adventuring at a music festival, eek can't wait! :-)

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...