{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

27 June 2014

Last day working full time on the day job

Today I finish my last week working full time on my day job as a Librarian. On Monday 30th June, I will officially be a part time Librarian in order to allow me to focus more time on Adventures and Tea Parties. Having worked in libraries for over 10 years, 3 years of which was spent training and studying for my librarian qualification, it wasn’t a decision I took lightly.
 
The past year and half has been crazy. In November 2013 my Not On The High Street shop opened just as I decided to quit my job and relocate to Leicester for a less frantic life and to be closer to my parents in Derbyshire. Days after finding a house in Leicester to rent, my Dad suddenly passed away. It was and still is the most horrific thing that has ever happened.
 
While making funeral arrangements and trying to cope with the horrific shock and loss, orders started to come in through Not On The High Street. I don’t know how or why I did it but I managed to send out what little stock I had, as well as sorting my imminent move to Leicester. Realising what I should have done all along, I closed my shop. I didn’t think I would ever open it again.
 
A month later I moved to Leicester and it was a complete rollercoaster. I got a job; I was suddenly driving again after 10 years (insert lots of frustrating moments of swearing and crying and thinking how much I hated driving!); my brother met and married the most wonderful sister-in-law I girl could ask for and with everything else I was dealing with and in a complete moment of madness, I re-opened my Not On The High Street shop. Much to my surprise orders started to come in.
 
Since then, the orders, my business and brand has started to grow. From September 2014 it mushroomed and I’ve been finding myself coming home from the day job, scoffing down some food and making orders. In between all of that, I’ve been trying to build my blog and online presence and generally do all those things a little independent, handmade business needs to do and wowza, there's ALOT of stuff you need to do! On top of this I bought my first ever home and it needs some love, so Saturdays have been pretty much dedicated to to it. That has meant no days off, no free evenings, no spare time full stop.
 
After Christmas it really hit me… this was too much and something had to change. After many a late night talk considering my options, regularly getting the calculator out, I realised that I had no choice but to go part time on the day job and so I asked my boss. I didn’t think anything would come of it, just like I thought nothing would come of my Not On The High Street shop but it did, work said yes.
 
So, on  Monday, I will be waking up and instead of packing up my bag to go to work, I will be taking my morning cup of tea up to my studio and working on Adventures and Tea Parties. 
I’m excited. I’m scared. And I can’t ruddy wait!

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...