{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

16 February 2014

Blog Gem - Crafting Fingers

I first came across Anna's lovely blog when I discovered she was learning a new craft each month, which was pretty spectacular! I've been glued to her blog ever since! Want to know more? Me too! 


Hello there, who's the face behind the blog, Crafting Fingers?




It's always hard to think from a third person's perspective and introduce yourself, isn't it? I'm an all-around creative person and have worked as a magazine editor, florist, web developer, and photographer. I love absolutely everything design and craft related, and coding keeps a special place in my heart. In 2013 I learned a new craft every month to challenge myself to be more creative. My husband and I live in beautiful Welsh countryside, but I'm actually Finnish and speak with a soft American accent. 




What's your creative space like? 
A colourful and controlled mess really! After working with so many crafts, it's hard to know where to even begin to categorise everything. Thankfully we have a spare bedroom and I get to keep all my mess in one place. A lot of things in my craft room are from thrift shops, and my favourite crafting chair was actually a freebie from our neighbour. I have my craft books and materials on shelves so it's all easy to access. I really should get it organised better, but I love coming across unexpected combinations of materials and long-forgotten bits and bobs when I'm grabbing things! I love print design so one wall is covered by magazine pages I find inspiring. 




If you had to take only one craft to a desert island, what would it be and why? 
It would have to be sewing. I'm not experienced in it (it was one of my 2013 crafts) but it's such a versatile craft and I don't think I would get bored of it easily! Plus, whatever I need on the island I would be able to sew. Sewing is such a beautiful and practical skill. 




How do you work and get inspired? 
Creative work can really be hit and miss. If I'm in the mood to create, it's easier to follow that urge than to resist. Even if it means working on Sunday! When I'm struggling I like to doodle and brainstorm on paper, or browse Pinterest. Although I think it's good to turn off the computer when you have a bad creative block. Sometimes I think I get blocked from consuming too much!




What top tips would you give to anyone starting a craft blog? 
Write what you care about, or you'll get bored. Quickly. If you've become inspired by some big-name blogs out there, do yourself a favour and look them up on the Wayback Machine.  It's fun to peek at what big blogs used to look like! It's a good reminder that even the big guys started off small. You can have a dream of where you want to go, but don't try to rush it. You never know where your journey will take you. There's no standard ladder to climb in blogging. (And looking at how big blogs have grown is a good way to learn from their lessons!)




Is there a story behind the name 'Crafting Fingers'?
When I started my blog it was to document my crafting journey as I learned a craft each month. I was desperate to get out of a creative rut. Call me cheesy, but when I want to craft my hands literally itch with anticipation! The name 'Crafting Fingers' came from that heartfelt tingling feeling. 




If you could go to a Creative Blog Award dinner with any 5 people/fictional characters (dead or alive), who would you choose? 
I would love to sit down with J.R.R. Tolkien, Albert Einstein, Chris Guillebeau, Tina Fey, and Jane Austen. They all have (or had) amazing perspectives on the world and humanity. The conversation would be brilliant. I think there's a lot to learn from mingling with people across all disciplines, too. I'd love to know how Jane Austen would have written about today's society!



And finally...book & tea or film & wine?
Book and tea, definitely! Milk one sugar, please. ;)

Ooh, thanks so much, Anna! It's been absolutely wonderful hearing more about you and your creative world! What a great point about switching the computer off - it sure can hault the creative process. I can totally related to that heartfelt tingling feeling you get when crafting and I'm sure everyone here can too! It's the best feeling!


I hope you all enjoyed this month's Blog Gem! In March we get to meet a lovely illustrator from up north, so stay tuned and until then, happy blogging!



All of the images and interview answers are the copyright of Anna at Crafting Fingers. Please do not use without seeking permission first. Thank you.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...