{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

1 July 2013

“How did it get so late so soon?”





Time is a funny ol' thing. Sometimes it drags. Sometimes it flies. Sometimes it's infuriating. Sometimes it's wonderful.

Recently, I've been finding myself going for the infuriating option.

I don't have enough time for this. I don't have enough time for that.

"How did it get so late so soon?" !!*

I have to confess, I've got to the point where I need to address it head on. In fact, every now and then Mr Time and I have to have a chat. In other words, when my brain is racing a million miles an hour with all the things I want and should do and yet my brain and I don't know where to start. 

So, this weekend I spent with my Mum. We discovered that we're both feeling in a muddle with time and that, independently of each other, we have both decided to tackle it. Now, I don't mean finding Dr Who and asking him a favour, I mean getting more organised, so that our brains settle.

Here's what we've both decided to do. At the start of each month, write down three lists.

List 1: tasks that are nagging at us e.g. ordering more paper for the printer or maybe something that has to be done that month.

List 2: creative stuff we want to do e.g. write blog posts, sew ...

List 3: none creative stuff we want to do e.g. seeing friends, going for a swim, reading a book...

Next step is to look at our monthly calendars and schedule in one thing from list 1 per week. If week 1 is particularly big, say you're moving house or something**, then split the jobs up and spread them out or perhaps dedicate one whole day/evening to those tasks.

After list 1 is dealt with, the picture of the month ahead starts to become clearer but this is where realism needs to kick in. Items from lists 2 and 3 musn't be jam packed in or the time issue will rear its ugly head again. If it's too daunting, simplify it. For example, Monday = write blog post/s, Tuesday = go for a swim, Wednesday = see friends and so on...

If something on the schedule doesn't pop up, for example, your friends are all booked up on Wednesday, then don't go crazy trying to tick everything off the calendar. Pick only one thing you'd like to do and do it. Finding you've got time on your hands for once surely is a good thing, so go and have a soak in the tub!

That's the plan anyway! We've both written our lists, scheduled stuff in and are going to try and stick with it. I'll let you know how we get on!

Is time an issue for you? Do you have any tips and tricks for dealing with what seems like a severe lack of it? I'd love to hear your thoughts!




*Quote from Dr Seuss
** I am currently bang in the middle of buying my very first home = exciting and stressful. Also possibly the cause of this blog post! ;-)

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...