{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

15 January 2013

Blog Gem - Yiskah Knits


Hello and welcome to Blog Gems! I'm kicking off 2013 with a fab blogger and crafter and a new interview question! Ooh! I absolutely love everything about this particular blogger, her style, blog design, writing, photography and of course her fabulous shop designs! So, without further ado, lets find out a bit more about this blogger! Hello there and welcome to Blog Gems, who be the face behind the blog?



Hi everyone! I'm Jess,  I'm 26 and live in the wonderfully creative, vibrant city of Bristol where I knit my socks off for my little biz, Yiskah Knits. I taught myself to knit a few years ago and have never looked back! When I'm not knitting I love to run, walk in the park, explore the city and learn to cook.

What's your creative space area like?

My workspace is in a sunny corner of my living room with shelves stacked high with yarn, plants, needles and nicknacks. There are floor to ceiling windows for me to keep an eye on the world and an ever lingering smell of glue. It's quite charming!



If you had to take only one of your crafts to a desert island, what would it be and why?

My knitting for sure, it's so relaxing and therapeutic weaving and shaping yarn into fabric and would certainly keep me busy lounging in the sun. I'd have to find a sustainable source of yarn though - perhaps palm leaves or coconut fibre? ;)



How do you work and get inspired? 

I have a crazy number of notebooks that I keep full of to-do lists and new ideas. For the most part these keep me busy and on my toes. I find inspiration all over the place, perhaps a new song I've heard or a scene in a film. A lot of the time when I'm out walking I 'knit-watch' to see what sort of styles and colours people are wearing, it's great to spot hand-knits once in a while, too!



What top tips would you give to any novice bloggers and those thinking of selling their designs? 

From the perspective of selling products and designs always keep experimenting, whether it's with new outlets or marketing techniques, see what works and learn from each experience; don't be disheartened if they don't turn out as expected. I've found networking locally to be invaluable too, by sharing tips with other creatives and interacting directly with your customers. For the blogging side of a small business it helps to show your personality and working process, whether in photos or sweet anecdotes - just be yourself.



Is there a story behind the name 'Yiskah Knits'?

Yes, sort of! Yiskah is one of the oldest derivatives of my name, Jessica. I'd done some research into the origins of my name and where it came from and really liked the sound (pronounced 'yish-ka') and spelling. Apparently Shakespeare was the first person to use the modern spelling in 'The Merchant of Venice'.

If you could go to a Creative Blog Award dinner with any 5 people/fictional characters (dead or alive), who would you choose? 

Oh wow, I'd bring along 5 people who I find fascinating, engaging and intelligent: David Attenborough, Jane Austen, Stephen Fry, Raymond Blanc and Douglas Adams. What conversations we'd have!



And finally...book & tea or film & wine?

That's soo tricky, I'm a big film junky so I'd probably have to say film and wine. That doesn't mean I don't drink 10 cups of tea a day, though! :)

Ha ha, I like you're thinking Jess, 10 cups of tea a day before the wine and film! Thank you so much for stopping by. It's been fab getting to know about you, your blog and designs.

I hope you've all enjoyed this month's Blog Gem. Stay tuned for next month's!!




All of the images and interview answers are the copyright of Jess at Yiskah Knits. Please do not use without seeking permission first. Thank you.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...