{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

6 December 2012

Blog Gem - Miss Imogen Smith


Hello one and all! It's my favourite time of the month - Blog Gem time, yay! This month I'm super duper chuffed to be introducing a beautiful blog called Miss Imogen Smith. I was first drawn to this blog by the gorgeous illustrations, which this talented lady creates and from then on I've been hooked! So, would you like to know a bit more about this creative lady? So would I! Hello there, who be the face behind the blog?

Well as I'm sure you already know, my name is Imogen, I'm 20 years old and am studying Graphic and Media design at university. I currently live in Shropshire and commute 40 minutes every day to my university! Like a lot of bloggers, I love being crafty and will almost always be doing something creative when I'm at home. Whether it is sewing, knitting or drawing- I love it! I also run the self named blog, Miss Imogen Smith where I write about my crafty adventures alongside my illustrations, and a little bit of lifestyle thrown in for good measure. I love going out for long walks with my dogs, as I live in some beautiful countryside. I also go horse riding and own a cheeky little pony called Benji, who I've owned since I was 10. I come from a horsey family, my mum has been horse riding ever since she was a little girl and she owns a lovely horse called Tom, I also share a little Shetland called Blossom, who we rescued when she was abandoned on the hills. 


What's your creative space/studio like? 
Most of my creative work and blogging happens at my desk in my room, which sits in the corner with my computer on one side (which I use for editing and blogging), and my laptop sits on the other. I have a very limited space to work in which means I have to be extremely organized and space conscious, everything has a place! On top of my desk you'll find a collection of magazines for inspiration, my tv and I always have a scented candle lit- at the moment it's Cinna-Vanilla! Underneath my desk sits a bedside chest where I keep paints, glue, stamps, pens and pencils in one drawer, and sketchbooks and other papery goods in the other! Under the other half of my desk sits my new craft box, made by my grandpa! It has a lift down lid with all sorts of different coloured beads and sewing pieces in the top section, and then in the bottom drawer I keep more glue, ink, paper cutter and lots of other random crafty things!!  





If you had to take only one of your crafts to a desert island, what would it be and why? 
The logical side of me would say to take something useful, such as knitting, the needles would be a great tool and I could quite happily knit myself something to wear and keep me warm at night. But personally I would take an endless supply of paper and my pencils and fineliners, to draw anything and everything in sight, I'd be able to send out plenty of messages in bottles! 



How do you work and get inspired? 
Anything and everything inspires me, whether it's ripping out pages from a magazine, looking through books or even just sitting quietly when a thought pops into my head! I also love looking at other blogs, especially photo inspiration posts as I think "I could use that in an illustration!" However, what makes me the happiest is drawing little animals, for example bunnies drinking from teacups wearing wooly jumpers! Beatrix Potter is an obvious inspiration there.


What top tips would you give to any novice bloggers and/or those thinking of selling their designs/crafts? 
I haven't been blogging for very long myself, since May 2012 I think! But I would give the advice I give to myself. Write about whatever you love and what makes you happy. It doesn't matter how many followers you have or how many comments, if you write your blog for yourself, then your passion will be obvious, and people will like and respect that! As for the shop, I would probably advise something similar, sell something that you're passionate about, and if it's handmade, something that you're willing to part with!! I find that last part quite hard, because I get rather attached to my drawings and creations! 



Is there a story behind the name 'Miss Imogen Smith'?
My blog is obviously self named, I started out with the intention of simply posting my illustrations to see if I would get any feedback from it. But then at the back of my mind, I always knew I wanted to eventually branch out into other topics such as craft and lifestyle. Having a self named blog means no boundaries or limitations! Using the title 'Miss' also reminded me of sending and receiving letters, so you could say I'm writing letters to all my followers through the blog! 



If you could be given an award for your designs by any person/fictional character (dead or alive), who would it be?
My answer is exactly the same as Anna from Miss Beatrix, - Beatrix Potter. Her stories were read to me when I was a little girl and I grew up admiring her illustrations. But then in my mid teens I happened to pick up one of her biographies from the local library, it wasn't until that point, that I realized what an amazing person Beatrix Potter was. Not only were her drawings beautiful, but she was such a strong and independent woman. I instantly connected with her way of thinking and admired her determination to overcome her family's expectations and strive against the myth that women couldn't support themselves.


And finally...book & tea or film & wine?
I think this is an easy question! Although I love films, I would have to choose tea and a book. Green and Jasmine tea to be precise :) 



Thank you so much Imogen! I absolutely loved Beatrix Potter as a child and you've now got me all intrigued and wanting to read more about her. In fact, if I could pluck that very book out of the picture above, I would snuggle up on the sofa with some tea and devour it! Your Grandpa sure is one talented man, what a beautiful creation and lovely creative space. That's fantastic advice about writing a blog and selling designs, which make you happy. I couldn't agree with you more! Thanks again Imogen!

I hope you've all enjoyed this month's Blog Gem. Stay tuned for more and until then, enjoy the festive season!



All of the images and interview answers are the copyright of Imogen at Miss Imogen Smith. Please do not use without seeking permission first. Thank you.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...