{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

2 September 2012

Blog Gem - Jenny and the Magic Feather

Yay, it's time for another Blog Gem! This month I got to interview the face behind another favourite of mine - Jenny and the Magic Feather. I first came across this blog through all the lovely recipes published on there. That and the name totally caught my eye and I've been hooked ever since! So, without further ado, lets get chatting!

Hello, who be the face behind Jenny and the Magic Feather?


Hi! I'm Jenny! I currently live down south in Cambridge but I am very much a northern girl at heart as I am originally from waaaay up north in Carlisle. Hands down, Cumbria will always be my favourite place in the world! I live with my awesome, supportive and patient (!) boyfriend and our little fatty ratty Dexter.

I would describe myself as a disorganised organiser! I love to be busy and planning, I have always got several things going on at once. However I am very disorganised with going about completing them :-/ I love a good 'to do' list but am incredibly easily distracted!

I have a full time job in Cath Kidston as Assistant Manager (get me!) but outside of work I love anything crafty and bakey - and bloggy!



What's your craft/design/studio area like?

Ha! well this is a bit of a sad story really! I live in a preeety small house, and although we have two bedrooms, the second room is very small indeed. It was originally intended as Philip's 'Geek Room' so all the furniture is black and I have to stare at delightful Batman and Left For Dead posters... not exactly the serene and peaceful place I would of planned for my ideal craft room! Anyway, it never became a game room for Phil, instead it is now simply an office, and I cannot complain about the lovely big desk and awesome 27” Mac filling it up! (cheers Phil ;D). This is where I do all my blogging bits and bobs. However, I have slowly started to take over the rest of the room, with one corner set up for sewing – lots of colour, flowers and Cath Kidston can be found in that one little corner!



If you had to take only one of your crafts to a desert island, what would it be and why?

Felt. No question about it. Endless amounts of Felt! I just adore it! It is by far my favourite material to work with!



How do you work and get inspired?

Oh gosh, this is a tough one! Remember how I said I was disorganised? Well this is pretty much how I work. I have a big list of projects that I would like to make and do, and when the mood strikes I just get going! Its not uncommon for me to get bored halfway through a project though and promptly start with gusto on another one!

I am constantly inspired by Pinterest! What a fantastic invention!! and Mollie Makes. I check out all their recommendations for blogs, shops and sites.

I try to keep a little blog/craft notebook with me, so I can always jot down ideas when they pop in to my head!



What top tips would you give to any novice bloggers?

Hmm.. not sure I can really answer this, being pretty much a novice still myself! I can tell anyone that as a new blogger, starting my blog was one of the best and most fun things I have done so far in my life. It does involve long hours in front of a computer! But I have met so many lovely people, and discovered endless amounts of awesomeness through other blogs! And you cannot beat the feeling when someone leaves a lovely comment on something you said, or something you made.

I also always remember that my blog is for me, it's not all about followers and stats. As long as you speak from the heart, and love and get excited with your own posts - it doesn’t matter if it's only ever your mum that reads it (which mine does by the way!).

So my only and top tip would be, if you’re thinking of starting a blog, stop thinking and start doing! You will not regret it!



Is there a story behind the name 'Jenny and the Magic Feather'?

There is! When I was little I was obsessed with Dumbo (still am a little!), and being able to fly – so much so that my mum has said she used to be scared that one day I was actually going to try to fly and jump from a window or something silly! Anyway, I used to say that all I needed was a magic feather (and a 'dicky bird suit' – ah the mind of a child...). There are endless pictures of me with 'magic feathers' which were actually just those long leaves that look like feathers, never actual feathers.... I think I was a little odd when I was little actually!

So when I was coming up with blog names (and there were many, many ideas) one day 'Jenny and the Magic Feather' just popped into my head and sounded right, and that was that!



If you could be given an award for your blog and blog design work by any person/fictional character (dead or alive), who would it be?

ERM...!! yikes! that is a awful question Jo haha! Right I am going to sound mega ego-tastic now and say my younger self – if little Jenny with her magic feather leaves would be happy enough with my modern day “magic feather” to give me an award, then I would proudly accept it. That was an odd answer, sorry!



And finally...book & tea or music & wine?

Haha I'll be difficult and go for option three and say it depends on what day because both of those options sound inviting! I am a bit of a split personality and like lots a varied things which change from day today. Right now a book and tea sounds amazing though....

Thanks!!



Thank you Jenny! It's been fab getting to know you and the world behind your blog. I couldn't agree more about just starting a blog and not thinking too much about it. So for those readers out there who are umming and ahhring over blogging, seriously, Jenny's right, you won't regret it...and it's so easy to start! Plus, plus, if you need some help designing a blog, look no further than...Jenny! Here are some amazing design jobs she's done for other bloggers.

I hope you've all enjoyed this month's Blog Gem. Stay tuned for October's as I've got another fab one lined up...ooh if only this were my full time job, I love doing this! Happy reading folks!



All of the images and interview answers are the copyright of Jenny and the Magic Feather. Please do not use without seeking permission first. Thank you. 

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...