{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

15 August 2012

Lunch breaks in the city - Tower of London

Hey folks, the wait is over! I can finally share part 2 of last week's Lunch break in the city post. For those of you that have been following, you may well have guessed this one already - The Tower of London! Yep, I managed to get to one of the most famous landmarks in Britain in my lunch break! I couldn't believe it when I first realised how close my work was to this beautiful, history packed, stunning piece of architecture. I've been there twice now - first time on discovery and second time armed with my trusty camera. Here's a selection (*ahem, I went a little crazy snapping away on my camera - well in the little time I had and on only ONE side of the tower! - so, will not go overboard showing you the entire album!)....




As the clouds were so spectacular, I thought I'd include this ominous shot, even though it's not too dissimilar to the photo above...




Hang on a minute. Is that arrow aimed at me? Moving on... 


This seagull was circling above for a little while and made me feel like I was in some fancy historical drama. Ha, or maybe work was getting to me that day! 



Here's another contrast of old and young with the City Hall in the not so distant background. If you look closely you can see two highlighted figures moving across the middle of the building. A range of these superimposed figures were dancing across the building doing beautiful gymnastic moves the whole time I was there. Wish I could have captured and done them justice on my camera...


Apparently lions previously guarded the drawbridge....raw!


There was a flying visit while I was there, so with a bit of neck strain I snapped up these guys...


Hello!



There were so many notice boards with interesting facts on but the one I found most interesting was this one...apparently there was a conflict in the 1860s between the need for commercial tall buildings and protecting the views of the tower. A multi-story tea tower, 'Mazawattee', was built blocking the castle's view. In 1940 the Mazawattee was bombed and finally demolished in 1951. The legacy of tea in these parts of London lives on with numerous cafes serving tea within the tower walls....so, nothing to do with the number of thirsty tourists then? Ha! ;-)


{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...