{Nav Bar}

Home   ·   About   ·   Creative   ·   Lifestyle   ·   Sponsorship   ·   Contact   ·   Shop

1 August 2012

Blog Gem - Head in the Clouds

Hey folks! It's time for another Blog Gem and this month I'm super proud to be introducing the wonderful blog 'Head in the clouds'. I love this blog, the layout, style, great header design but most of all it's a fab read and one I tune into on a regular basis. So, without further ado, lets find out a bit more.



Hello Head in the clouds! Who be the face behind the blog?

Hi I'm Lois and I live in Sheffield, England with my (recently become) fiance Floyd and little pug Betty. I work 5 days a week in an office job for the City Council, but in my spare time I love to dream about making my creative online space, i.e. my blog and my Etsy shop, my primary source of income. I'm nowhere near there yet but I'm hoping with a little motivation and hard work I can make my dreams come true...le sigh.



What's your design space/studio/work area like?

I have a little area in my bedroom that I designated especially for my crafty exploits when we first moved in to our flat; however, if I'm honest I rarely do any crafting there at all! I mostly sit either by the dining table or on the sofa in the living room, where it's nice and comfy and sociable (and Betty can join in). I can't really call it a studio - I'd love to have a studio! Floyd is very understanding when it comes to my crocheting, as I have balls of yarn and all sorts all over the place! When we next move I am definitely going to make it a priority to make a creative space that I can shut myself away in (and then probably do all my crafting in the living room anyway).



If you had to take only one of your crafts to a desert island, what would it be and why?

It would have to be crocheting (as long as I had an unlimited supply of yarn). Crocheting was my first real, grown up crafting past-time and it introduced me to other crafts as well as the blogging world and beyond. Before crocheting I didn't read blogs, let alone write one of my own, and blogging is such an important part of my life now. It has, in a way, introduced me to things that have enriched my life in so many ways and encouraged me to learn and create more every day. Plus, I just love to crochet - it is like a kind of meditation for me. I can while away hours at a time, so if I were stuck on an island it would definitely help the time pass - and it would make for a pretty yearn bombed island along the way!



How do you work and get inspired?

I come up with ideas all the time. It's pretty random - they can come at any moment, sometimes when I'm not even trying to think up anything, so I try and keep a notebook on me at all times, so that I can write things down. If I don't write them down I lose them. So many ideas have been and gone but I always have plenty floating around to keep me busy. I get inspired by a lot of things - the internet is a great source. There is so much on offer online and I really enjoy finding a new site, blog, video, shop or whatever that gives me a fresh sense of perspective and a ton of new ideas! I also get really inspired by places I visit, people I meet, festivals are a great place for sparking new ideas, watching a film or listening to music, walking the dog, reading magazines, going shopping....inspiration is everywhere!



What top tips would you give to any novice bloggers and/or those thinking of selling their designs?

I think photography is one of the most important things to spend your time developing your skills in. I am still learning but can see a huge different in my photography style from when I first started blogging and selling on Etsy. I am drawn to shops and blogs that have great photography or photographic style. I think people can be put off if the images they see are bad quality - especially if you are trying to sell something. Take your time, experiment, use natural light where you can and invest your time in editing. You can get some great free online photo editing tools, you don't need to spend a ton of money.

Take the time to read other blogs and comment on posts you like or connect with. I used to read blogs and never comment because I never really thought I had that much to say; but since I read a blog post about that exact thing, I thought "well maybe I should speak up" and I'm so glad I did! Even if I just say "wow this is great" I am letting that person know I've enjoyed what they've shared (I know I always appreciate it when people comment on my blog posts), and it's also the best way of networking.

Lastly, but probably the most important thing - be yourself.



Is there a story behind the name 'Head in the Clouds'?

It refers to my daydreaming nature. I've been a daydreamer all my life and would often get into trouble at school for it (that or giggling). Sometimes I wonder whether I dream too much or too big, but as long as I can couple it with a bit of motivation then I hope it will get me somewhere. I think it's really healthy to have goals, and although my head is in the clouds a lot of the time, it helps shape my dreams and ambitions.



If you could be given an award for your designs by any person/fictional character (dead or alive), who would it be?

Audrey Hepburn - she's the bestest.




And finally....book & tea or music and wine?

Ooh tough one! Music and wine I think - I like to pretend I'm French sometimes, they know how to live (chocolate for breakfast? Mes oui!).



Ha ha, they certainly do know how to live and I now want a croissant! Thank you so much for stopping by Lois, it's been wonderful getting an insight into you and your creative blogging world. That's wonderful advice about investing time in photography and commenting on other people's blogs. Combined together, both can make such a huge difference. I know I can totally be put off a blog/website/online shop if the photography's bad. Thanks again Lois and congratulations too on your recent engagement, very exciting! I'm now going to pencil some time in for more photography practice...and dream of that yarn bombed desert island!

I hope you all enjoyed this month's Blog Gem! Stay tuned as I've lined up another fab Blog Gem for September!




All of the images and interview answers are the copyright of Lois Frances . Please do not use without seeking permission first. Thank you.

{Linkwithin}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...